- M.A. University of Kentucky, 1987
- M.F.A. University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 1979
- B.A. University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 1976
Areas of Interest
- Creative writing, poetry and non-fiction
- Rhetoric and composition
- American literature
- Writing in collaboration with other art forms
Current work in progress is extensive research on the southern American small town and a collection of dramatic monologues that reflect the diversity and complexity of its inhabitants.
Selected Publications and Presentations
Piece Work (poems). Cleveland: Cleveland State University Poetry Center, 2007.
Sherry’s Prayer (poems). NC Crossroads Series. Greensboro: NC Humanities Council, 2004.
Los Hijos (poems). Fayetteville: Longleaf Press, 2002.
Unravelings (poems). Fayetteville: Longleaf Press, 1998.
Snake Dreams (poems). Troy, ME: Nightshade Press, 1994.
- North Carolina Arts Council Fellowship in Writing, 2007, 2002
- English 1101 Freshman Composition
- English 1102 Writing in the Academic Community
- English 1103 Accelerated College Writing: Honors
- English 2126 Intro to Creative Writing
- Liberal Studies 2212 Literature and Culture: Writers on the Edge
- UNC Charlotte since 2000
- Cleveland State University Poetry Center First Book Prize, 2006
- Linda Flowers Prize (NC Humanities Council), 2004
- Oscar Arnold Young Best Book Award (Poetry Council of NC), 1998
- Zoe Kincaid Brockman Best Book Award (NC Poetry Society), 1995