Office: Fretwell 260B
Office: Fretwell 260B
M.F.A., Creative Writing (Fiction), Vanderbilt University
M.A., English Literature, Arizona State University
B.A., English, Northern Arizona University
Fiction writing, creative nonfiction writing, contemporary American fiction and nonfiction, psychogeography/the writer as walker, comix/graphic narratives, race/gender/class/sexuality studies
ENGL 2128: Intro to Fiction Writing
ENGL 3202: Intermediate Fiction Writing
ENGL 4203/5203: Writing Fiction: Establishing Setting
ENGL 6070: Topics in English: Creative Writing: Forms of Fiction; and Through the Lens: Perspective in Fiction
Sycamore, out from Harper (HarperCollins) May 9, 2017
When Are You Coming Home?: Stories, University of Nebraska Press (Sept. 1, 2015)
“This Is Not an Exit,” descant, 2014
“When Are You Coming Home?” Blackbird 10.2 (2011).
“All This History at Once.” PMS: poemmemoirstory 10 (2010): 113-117.
“Wrestling Night.” The Yalobusha Review 13 (2008): 101-109.
“The New Girl.” The Fourth River, 4 (2007): 50-58.
“Meet Me Here.” Gulf Coast 18.1 (2006): 12-24.
“At the Terminal.” Blackbird 3.2 (2004).
“In My Former Life.” CutBank 62 (2004): 42-56.
“Fossil Light.” Phoebe 33. 2 (2004): 98-115.
“Any Sign of Light.” Colorado Review 31. 1 (2004): 34-44.
“Start With the Walls.” The Cream City Review 27. 2 (2003): 31-42.
“Water at Midnight.” Crazyhorse 62 (2002): 20-28.
Fires and Other News: A Novel
Short stories and essays
Selected Awards and Honors
Prairie Schooner Book Prize
Poets & Writers Maureen Egen Writers Exchange Award
Jentel Artist Residency
Alabama State Council on the Arts Literary Fellowship
Arizona Commission on the Arts fellowship and project grant
Sewanee Writers Conference Tennessee Williams Scholarship
Bread Loaf Writers Conference David R. Sokolov Scholarship
Honors Faculty Award, University of Montevallo
Southern Festival of Books
Gertrude & Harold Vanderbilt Visiting Writers Series at Vanderbilt University
Tucson Festival of Books
Prairie Schooner Book Prize Celebration Reading
Winthrop University Visiting Readers Series
University of North Carolina at Greensboro Visiting Writer’s Series
Jentel Presents, Jentel Artist Residency, Sheridan, WY
Poets & Writers WEX, McNally Jackson Books, New York City
UAB Writers Series, University of Alabama-Birmingham
Auburn Writers Conference Creative Reading Series
Slash Pine Festival, University of Alabama
Montevallo Literary Festival, University of Montevallo
Selected Panels and Talks
- “The Rural, The Urban, and the Search for Home: Landscapes in Short Stories,” Southern Festival of Books, Nashville, TN, Oct. 15, 2016
- “Big Ideas in Short Works,” “New and Noteworthy,” and “Short Stories,” Tucson Festival of Books, Tucson, AZ, March 12-13, 2016
- “The Art of the Short Story,” Hub City Books, Spartanburg, SC, Jan. 14, 2016
- The Front Step.” Creative Non-Fiction Writers panel. South Atlantic Modern Language Association, Durham, NC, Nov. 13-15, 2015
- “Greetings from the Lighthouse Tour.” Creative Non-Fiction Writers panel. South Atlantic Modern Language Association, Atlanta, GA, Nov. 7-9, 2014
- “Hearts of Darkness: Writing the Villain in Fiction”: AWP Pedagogy Forum, AWP Conference, Washington, D.C. Feb. 3, 2011
- “‘That Certain Grain of Stupidity’: Making the Writer See.” AWP Pedagogy Forum, AWP Conference, Denver, CO, April 8, 2010
- “No Idle Talk: The Dynamics of Dialogue.” AWP Pedagogy Forum, AWP Conference, Chicago, IL, Feb. 12, 2009
- Assistant Professor, Department of English, University of North Carolina-Charlotte, 2015-present
- Assistant Professor, Department of English, University of Montevallo, 2009-2015 (awarded tenure and promotion in April 2015)