Office: Fretwell 260B
Office: Fretwell 260B
- M.F.A., Creative Writing (Fiction), Vanderbilt University
- M.A., English Literature, Arizona State University
- B.A., English, Northern Arizona University
Fiction writing, creative nonfiction writing, contemporary American fiction and nonfiction, psychogeography/the writer as walker, comix/graphic narratives, race/gender/class/sexuality studies
- ENGL 2128: Intro to Fiction Writing
- ENGL 3202: Intermediate Fiction Writing
- ENGL 4203/5203: Writing Fiction
- ENGL 4206: Writing Creative Nonfiction
- ENGL 4209: Fiction Writing Workshop: Flash Fiction
- ENGL 6073: Topics in Creative Writing
- Sycamore, Harper/HarperCollins (May 9, 2017)
- When Are You Coming Home?: Stories, University of Nebraska Press (Sept. 1, 2015)
- “The Moon, the Pyramids, the World,” NELLE, winter 2019
- “This Is Not an Exit,” descant, 2014
- “When Are You Coming Home?” Blackbird 10.2 (2011).
- “All This History at Once.” PMS: poemmemoirstory 10 (2010): 113-117.
- “Wrestling Night.” The Yalobusha Review 13 (2008): 101-109.
- “The New Girl.” The Fourth River, 4 (2007): 50-58.
- “Meet Me Here.” Gulf Coast 18.1 (2006): 12-24.
- “At the Terminal.” Blackbird 3.2 (2004).
- “In My Former Life.” CutBank 62 (2004): 42-56.
- “Fossil Light.” Phoebe 33. 2 (2004): 98-115.
- “Any Sign of Light.” Colorado Review 31. 1 (2004): 34-44.
- “Start With the Walls.” The Cream City Review 27. 2 (2003): 31-42.
- “Water at Midnight.” Crazyhorse 62 (2002): 20-28.
- “Arterial,” Crazyhorse, Issue 98, Fall 2020
- “String, Too Short,” Brevity, 14 Jan. 2019
- “Missing Worlds”: personal essay at The Common 21 June 2017
- “How to Write Suspense”: craft essay for Publishers Weekly 5 May 2017
- Linked short story collection
Selected Awards and Honors
- North Carolina Arts Council Artist Fellowship
- Prairie Schooner Book Prize
- Poets & Writers Maureen Egen Writers Exchange Award
- Jentel Artist Residency
- Hambidge Center Residency
- Alabama State Council on the Arts Literary Fellowship
- Arizona Commission on the Arts fellowship and project grant
- Sewanee Writers Conference Tennessee Williams Scholarship
- Bread Loaf Writers Conference David R. Sokolov Scholarship
Honors Faculty Award, University of Montevallo, 2015
Selected Readings, Panels, Appearances, + Talks
- Southern Festival of Books
- Gertrude & Harold Vanderbilt Visiting Writers Series at Vanderbilt University
- Tucson Festival of Books and Masters Workshop
- Virginia Festival of the Book
- Alabama Book Festival
- Sensoria: A Celebration of the Literature and the Arts
- Hub City Writers Project/Spartanburg Public Library
- Hoover Public Library
- Prairie Schooner Book Prize Celebration Reading
- Winthrop University Visiting Readers Series
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro Visiting Writer’s Series
- Sewanee Young Writers Conference
- Poets & Writers WEX, McNally Jackson Books, New York City
- UAB Writers Series, University of Alabama-Birmingham
- Auburn Writers Conference Creative Reading Series
- Slash Pine Festival, University of Alabama
- Montevallo Literary Festival, University of Montevallo
- Associate Professor, Department of English, UNC Charlotte, 2019-
- Assistant Professor, Department of English, UNC Charlotte, 2015-19
- Assistant Professor, Department of English, University of Montevallo, 2009-2015 (awarded tenure and promotion in April 2015)