Assistant Professor of Spanish
Department of Languages and Culture Studies
(Preferred pronouns: He, him, his / Él)
Javier Garcia Leon
Assistant Professor of Spanish
Dr. Javier García León is an Assistant Professor of Spanish Linguistics at the Department of Languages and Culture Studies. He has been conducting interdisciplinary research in language, power, and representation. He has worked on Languages in Contact (Spanish and Creole Languages in the Caribbean) and on Linguistic Attitudes and Policies (Colombia). He also works on Critical Discourse Analysis, Queer Linguistics, and Latin American (LGBTQI+) Cultural and Media Studies. In particular, he examines the representation of transgender people in Latin American newspapers and audiovisual journalism of the last decades. His work has been published in journals such as the Canadian Journal of Latin American and Caribbean Studies, Revista de Estudios Colombianos, Latin American Research Review, Lingüística y Literatura, Lenguaje, Cuadernos de Lingüística Hispánica, Forma y Función, Folios, Boletín de Filología, among others (Access to peer-reviewed publications). His book, Espectáculo, normalización y representaciones otras. Las personas transgénero en la prensa y el cine de Colombia y Venezuela, is forthcoming.
- Ph.D. in Spanish, University of Ottawa.
- M.A. in Linguistics, Universidad Nacional de Colombia.
- B. Ed. and Humanities, specialization in Spanish and English, Universidad Pedagógica Nacional (Colombia).
- Queer Linguistics.
- (Decolonial) Critical Discourse Analysis.
- Languages in Contact.
- (LGBTIQ+) Latin American Cultural and Media Studies.
- Second Language Teaching.
- Spanish Sociolinguistics.
- Spanish Sociopragmatics.
- Critical Discourse Analysis.
- Academic Reading and Writing.
- (LGBTQI+) Latin American Cultural and Media Studies.
- Spanish as a Second/Foreign Language.
Courses at UNC Charlotte:
- SPAN4050/5050 Introduction to the Sociopragmatic Study of the Spanish Language.
- SPAN4050/5050 Introduction to Critical Discourse Analysis in Spanish.
- SPAN3201 Advanced Grammar and Composition.
Honours, awards, grants, and scholarships:
- 2020-2021, Faculty Research Grant, University of North Carolina at Charlotte (principal investigator).
- 2020-2021, Chancellor’s Diversity Challenge Fund, University of North Carolina at Charlotte (co-applicant).
- 2019, Félix Hangelini Doctoral Dissertation Award, BETA – Asociación de Jóvenes Doctores en Hispanismo.
- 2018, Best published article by a researcher (co-author). Canadian Association of Hispanists.
- 2017-2018, Joseph-Armand Bombardier Doctoral Award, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC).
- 2015-2018, Doctoral Fellowship, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC).
- 2015-2018, Doctoral Scholarship, Fonds de Recherche Société et Culture du Québec (declined).
- 2015-2016, Doctoral Scholarship, Ontario Graduate Scholarship (declined).
- 2014-2018, Admission and Excellence Scholarships, University of Ottawa
- 2013, Master Thesis with Honours, Universidad Nacional de Colombia.
- 2011-2013, Graduate Scholarship, Universidad Nacional de Colombia
- 2006-2009, Undergraduate Studies Scholarship, Universidad Pedagógica Nacional.
- Associate Editor: Spanish Journal of Applied Linguistics RESLA.
- Editorial Board Member: Convergences.
- Editorial Board Member: Rastros y Rostros.
- Editorial Assistant (2014-2019): Revista Canadiense de Estudios Hispánicos.
UNC Charlotte Affiliated Faculty:
- Latin American Studies
- Gender and Women Studies