Office: CHHS 444C
Kathleen S Jordan
Office: CHHS 444C
Kathleen Jordan has been an advanced practice nurse in emergency care for thirty years. During this time, she has had the privilege of working in the roles of clinician, educator, mentor, author, and researcher. She is nationally certified as a Family Nurse Practitioner, Emergency Nurse Practitioner, and Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner for Pediatrics. Her specialized area of expertise has always been in the emergency care environment, which has allowed her to develop the knowledge and skill set to care for individuals and families across the lifespan in a fast paced, complex, diverse and unpredictable setting. She has a particular passion for caring for the underserved and vulnerable populations, particularly children and adolescents. Specifically, she has done a large amount of work in the specialized field of child maltreatment, including direct patient care, education at the local and national levels, evidence-based research, advocacy, and publications. She is the chairperson of a hospital-based child maltreatment team, is a member of local and state child maltreatment coalitions, and a NC Child Maltreatment Medical Evaluator.
University of Rochester
University of South Alabama
Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Master of Science in Nursing
Post-Masters Family Nurse Practitioner
Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Foundations and Applications of Evidence-Based Practice
- Clinical Residency and Project Development 1
- Clinical Residency and Project Development 11
- Advanced Primary Care of Children and Adolescents
- Advanced Primary Care of Children and Adolescents Practicum
- Research in Nursing and Health Professions
- Concepts in Professional Nursing
Research Interests/ Areas of Expertise
- Emergency Care
- Child Maltreatment
- Advanced Practice Nursing
Award and Honors
- Community Service Award, University of South Alabama, 2013
- Journal of Forensic Nursing Clinical Article of the Year Award, 2015
- Editorial Board, Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal
- Section Editor, Cases of Note, Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal
- North Carolina Child Medical Evaluation Program, Examiner
- American Academy of Emergency Nurse Practitioners, Nursing Practice Committee Member
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners, Practice Analysis Task Force Member
- Mecklenburg Country Child Sexual Assault Prevention Committee Member
- Novant Health Presbyterian Hospital Charlotte Forensic Program, Clinical Lead Practitioner
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center, Charlotte, Medical Executive Committee Member
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center, Emergency Child Maltreatment Team Chairperson
- Shea, S., Hoyt, K. & Jordan, K. (2016). Pediatric Emergent/Urgent and Ambulatory Care. The Pocket NP. Springer Publishing Company.
- Jordan, K., & MacKay, M. (2015). A case of pertussis: What emergency health care providers need to know. Advanced Journal of Emergency Nursing, 37, 273-280.
- Jordan, K., & Steelman, S. (2015). Child maltreatment: Missed cases and interventions for the improvement in recognition and reporting. The Journal of Forensic Nursing, 11, 107-113.
- Jordan, K. & Nadler, M. (2014). Children at Risk of Maltreatment: Identification and early intervention in the emergency department Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal, 36, 97-106.
- Love, R., Murphy, J., Lietz, T., & Jordan, K. (2012). The effectiveness of a provider in triage in the emergency department. Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal, 34, 65-74.