- “The Panic of 1819 and the Political Economy of Sectionalism.” In The Economy of Early America: New Directions, edited by Cathy Matson. Pennsylvania State University Press, 2007.
- “The South in the New Nation, 1790-1824.” In A Companion to the American South, edited by John Boles, Blackwell, 2002.
- Transforming the Cotton Frontier: Madison County, Alabama, 1800-1840. Louisiana State University Press, 1997.
Early-republic America: social, cultural, and political; Nationalism and sectionalism; Trans-Appalachian frontier, Panic of 1819.
- HIST 1160, US History to 1865
- HIST 2000, American Lives
- HIST 2100, Andrew Jackson’s America
- HIST 3203, Antebellum US, 1800-1860
- HIST 3212, U.S. South, 1607-1865
- HIST 6215, Jacksonian America
- HIST 6220, The Old South
- LBST 2101, Western History & Culture
- HIST 1160 Intro to U.S. History I
- HIST 4000/5000 American Slavery in Comparative Perspective
Ph.D., Brandeis University, 1990.