Dave Verrill, MS, ACSM-RCEP, -CCEP, -PD, AACVPR-CCRP is Lecturer and Laboratory Director at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. He is a Fellow of the AACVPR and past president of both the ACSM Clinical Exercise Physiology Association (CEPA) and the North Carolina Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Association (NCCRA). He has worked in the field of exercise science and cardiopulmonary rehabilitation for over 35 years as a clinical exercise physiologist. He has presented at many ACSM, ACCVPR, and state or regional cardiopulmonary rehabilitation association annual meetings with a focus on cardiopulmonary rehabilitation outcomes, resistive testing and training in cardiopulmonary populations, and licensure issues for clinical exercise physiologists. Dave has published a number of research and review articles in journals such as CHEST, Journal of Clinical Exercise Physiology, Sports Medicine, and the Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention. He has also been author or co-author for a number of ACSM textbooks. Dave has received three NCCRA Distinguished Service awards and the 2014 Faculty Excellence Award for Undergraduate Teaching at UNCC. He currently lives in Stallings, NC with his wife Susie and their children Thomas (15), Katie (17), and Christopher (20). In his spare time he enjoys mountain biking, gardening, and many forms of exercise training.
- B.S. – University of Maine, 1979
- Major: Physical Education
- Minor: Psychology
- M.S. – University of South Carolina, 1982
- Major: Exercise Physiology
- Minor: Human Growth and Development
- Exercise Physiology Laboratory and Lecture (KNES 3281)
- Exercise Testing Laboratory (KNES 3287)
- Exercise Testing (KNES 3286)
- Strength and Conditioning Laboratory (KNES 3285-L)
- Cardiopulmonary and Metabolic Diseases Exercise Prescription (graduate) (KNES 6134)
- Clinical Practice in Exercise Physiology (graduate) (KNES 6121)
- Exercise Testing Methods (graduate) (KNES 6151
Research Interests/Areas of Expertise
- Patient outcomes in cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation
- Body composition assessment in special populations
- Resistive exercise testing and training in cardiopulmonary and special populations
- Advanced lipid and lipoprotein analysis in cardiovascular disease
- 6-minute walk testing in cardiopulmonary rehabilitation
- Guideline development for operation of cardiac, pulmonary and cancer rehabilitation programs
- Licensure for Clinical Exercise Physiologists
Awards & Honors
- 2014 UNCC Faculty Excellence Award in Undergraduate Teaching
- Selected by 10-20 students (or greater) for 5 of the 7 years teaching at UNCC on the undergraduate senior surveys as the “one person who made the most significant, positive contribution to their education”
- Nominated for Master of the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (2012 and 2014)
- Fellow, American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (1998)
- NCCRA Distinguished Service Award for Presidential Service (2003)
- NCCRA Distinguished Service Award for Publication of Rules and Guidelines (1995)
- NCCRA Honor of Excellence Award for Contributions in Exercise Science (1992)
- UNCC Coordinator, American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) World Heart Games for cardiac rehabilitation patients, Charlotte, NC (2016)
- Volunteer for Room at the Inn and the Charlotte Men’s and Women’s Homeless Shelters
- Mathews United Methodist Church volunteer for teaching and service projects
- Dwyer GB, Verrill DE, Headley, SAE, Coyne BJ. An Introduction to Clinical Exercise Physiology: Evolution, Professional Practice, and Future Directions. In: Thompson WR editor. ACSM’s Clinical Exercise Physiology. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Health; in press.
- Verrill DE. Domain II: Exercise Prescription: Case Studies CEP.II(2), CEPII(5), and CEPIII, In ACSM’s Certification Review, 5th edition. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, 2018, pp. 161-190.
- Verrill DE. Measuring Behavioral Outcomes in Cardiac Rehabilitation. In Handbook of Cardiovascular Behavioral Medicine, 2nd edition. New York: Springer Publishing; in press.
- Verrill DE. Domain III: Program Implementation and Ongoing Support—Case Study CES.III. In ACSM’s Certification Review, 4th edition. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott, Williams & Williams, 2014, pp. 163-165;186-187.
- Verrill DE, Keteyian SJ. Evolution of the Clinical Exercise Physiologist. In ACSM’s Resources for Clinical Exercise Physiology, 2nd edition. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Williams, 2009, pp. 280-287.
- Dunn A, Marcus BH, Verrill DE. Human Behavior and Psychosocial Assessment. In ACSM’s Certification Review, 3rd Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Williams, 2009, pp. 86-102.
- Verrill D, Savage P, Sanderson B. Clinical Exercise Program Development and Operations. In ACSM’s Resource Manual for Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, 6th edition. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Williams, 2009, pp. 778-789.
- Verrill DE. Resistive exercise training in cardiac rehabilitation. In Training Techniques in Cardiac Rehabilitation, Monograph # 3. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 1998, pp. 41-87.
- Dwyer G, Verrill D, Headley S, Confessore R, Harding A, Berry R, Coyne B, Kerrigan D. The Practice of Clinical Exercise Physiology in the United States. Journal of Clinical Exercise Physiology 2018 (in press).
- Jett DM, Gibb J, Verrill DE. Evidence-based alternatives to popular exercises. ACSM Health Fitness Journal 2017;21(6):23-29.
- Kerrigan D, Verrill D, Harding A, Headley S. CEPA 2015 clinical exercise physiology practice survey. Journal of Clinical Exercise Physiology 2017;6(1):9-16.
- Berry R, Verrill D. Point/Counterpoint: Licensure for clinical exercise physiologists—an argument in favor of this proposal. Journal of Clinical Exercise Physiology 2012;1:35-42.
- Verrill D, Graham H, Vitcenda M, Peno-Green L, Kramer V, Corbisiero T. Measuring behavioral outcomes in cardiopulmonary rehabilitation—an AACVPR statement. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention 2009;29:193-203.
- Peno-Green L, Verrill D, Vitcenda M, MacIntyre N, Graham H. Patient and program outcome evaluation in pulmonary rehabilitation—an AACVPR Outcomes Committee consensus statement. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention 2009;29:402-410.
- Verrill D, Fox L, Moore JB, Miller J, Belles C, Barrier J, Moretz C, Lippard WM. Validity and reliability of the North Carolina 6-minute cycle test. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation 2006;26:224-230.
- Verrill D, Barton C, Beasley, M, Lippard. The effects of short- and long-term pulmonary rehabilitation on functional capacity, perceived dyspnea, and quality of life. CHEST 2005; 128:673-683.
- Verrill D, Barton C, Beasley, M, Lippard M, King C. Six-minute walk and quality of life comparisons in North Carolina cardiac rehab programs. Heart and Lung 2003:32:41-51.
- Verrill D, Barton C, Beasley W, Brennan M, Lippard M, King C: Quality of life measures and gender comparisons in North Carolina cardiac rehabilitation programs. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation 2001;21:37-46.
- Verrill D, Ribisl P: Resistive exercise training in cardiac rehabilitation—an update. Sports Medicine 1996;21:347-383.
- Verrill D, Ashley R, Witt K, Forkner T: Recommended guidelines for monitoring and supervision of North Carolina Phase II/III cardiac rehabilitation programs. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation 1996;16:6-24.
- Verrill D, Shoup E, Boyce L, Fox B, Moore A, Forkner T: Recommended guidelines for body composition assessment in cardiac rehabilitation. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation 1994;14:104-121.
- Verrill D, Bergey D, McElveen G, Witt K: Recommended guidelines for cardiac maintenance programs. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation 1993;13:88-96.
- Verrill D, Shoup E, McElveen G, Witt K, Bergey D: Resistive exercise training in cardiac patients: Recommendations. Sports Medicine 1992;13:171-193.
- Spurgeon JH, Meredith HV, Cia C, Clagett MY, Dawkins R, Johnson JW, Jones E, Meredith M, Morris JB, Verrill DE. Skin color comparisons among ethnic groups of college men. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 1984;64:413-418.
- Alpert BS, Verrill DE, Flood NL, Boineau JP, Strong WB: Complications of ergometer exercise in children. Pediatric Cardiology 1983;4:91-96.
Invited Articles for Fitness/Exercise Science Publications
- Verrill, DE: Issues for Clinical Exercise Physiologists—Part 1: Resistive Exercise Testing in Pulmonary Rehabilitation. ACSM Certified News 2014;24(2):3,11-13.
- Verrill, DE: Academic Preparation for the Clinical Exercise Physiologist in Pulmonary Rehabilitation—Highlight on the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. CEPA Newsletter 2013;6(4):8-10.
- Verrill, DE: The 6-Minute Walk Test in Pulmonary Rehabilitation: Issues for Clinical Exercise Physiologists. ACSM Certified News 2011;21(4):8-11.
- Verrill, DE: “What a Long, Strange (But Wonderful) Trip it has Been.” CEPA Newsletter 2011;4(3):6-8.
- Verrill DE: “Walking Steps up Your Health.” Vibrant Living Magazine May/June 2011, p. 32.
- Verrill, DE: A summary of the CMS 2010 cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation coverage policies—How the rules affect the clinical exercise physiologist (Part 2: cardiac rehabilitation) CEPA Newsletter 2010;3:5-7.
- Verrill, DE: A summary of the CMS 2010 cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation coverage policies—How the rules affect the clinical exercise physiologist (Part 1: pulmonary rehabilitation) CEPA Newsletter 2010;1:4-7.
- Verrill, DE: Strength training for older adults. Geriatric Times 2001;2:26-27.
- Verrill, DE: Risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Senior Directions Magazine 1994; 6:11.
- Verrill, DE: Giving your body a “road test”— what the stress test tells you. Senior Directions Magazine 1996;8:13.
- Verrill, DE: Resistive exercise training in cardiac rehabilitation. ACSM Certified News 1996; 6:1-7.