On this page is my complete, up-to-date publication list, with links to publications where possible. To see the complete publication list in pdf form, click here.
For those interested in downloading a copy of my thesis, “Nonradiating Sources and the Inverse Source Problem”, click here.
Some time back, a description of my research group’s work on singular optics with polychromatic light was published (unbeknownst to us) in a Russian science magazine. A pdf version of the article can be viewed here. For an English description of this research, see paper 22. To see an article about the experimental confirmation of this research, click here.
Some of my work on partially coherent beams propagating through turbulence has been verified experimentally. To see an article about this, click here.
Work I did with Professors Wolf and Agarwal on the coherence properties of sunlight was described in the scientific press at Physics News Update and Astronomy. I have pdf versions of the pages here and here.
Work I did with my collaborators in Amsterdam on plasmons and Young’s interference experiment was described in Physics World (though I am not mentioned by name). See the article here.
In recent years, the idea of dielectric invisibility devices has become quite popular with the media. Thanks to my thesis work on ‘invisible objects,’ I was asked to comment on these recent results. Comments appeared in Science Magazine, PhysOrg.com, The News & Observer, and even USA Today.
My proceedings paper for my invited talk at Photonics West 2007 is here.
Popular Science Articles:
- G. Gbur, “Visions of Invisibility in Fiction,” Optics and Photonics News (July/August 2011), 16-17.
- G. Gbur, “Les pérégrinations d’un escroc scientfiique,” La Recherche 458 (December 2011), 58-60.
- G. Gbur, “Arago’s Inadvertent Test of Relativity,” Optics and Photonics News (May 2012), 18-19.
- G. Gbur, “The Secret Molecular Life of Soap Films,” Optics and Photonics News (July/August 2013), 18-20.
- G. Gbur, “Robertson: l’homme au nom de la science,” La Recherche 475 (May 2013), 60-62.
- G. Gbur, “James Jeans’ Almost-Atomic Theory,” Optics and Photonics News (November 2013), 20-22.
- G. Gbur, “Making Magnets Speak: the Barkhausen effect,” Open Lab 2013.
- G. Gbur, “Le mystère des chats qui retombent toujours sur leurs pattes, » La Recherche 487, (Mai 2014), 54-58.
- G. Gbur, “A Protective Cloak Against Earthquakes and Storms,” American Scientist 103 (2015), 356-359.
- G. Gbur, “Blogging on the tenure track,” in Science Blogging: The Essential Guide, C. Wilcox, B. Brookshire, G. Goldman, eds. (Yale University Press, 2016).
27. G. Gbur, “Nonradiating sources and other ‘invisible’ objects”, in E. Wolf (Ed.), Prog. in Optics, vol. 45 (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2003), p. 273. (contact me for a copy!)
39. H.F. Schouten, N. Kuzmin, G. Dubois, T.D. Visser, G. Gbur, P.F.A. Alkemade, H. Blok, G.W. ‘t Hooft, D. Lenstra and E.R. Eliel, “Plasmon-assisted two-slit transmission: Young’s experiment revisited”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 94 (2005), 053901.
49. G. Gbur and O. Korotkova, “Angular spectrum representation for the propagation of arbitrary coherent and partially coherent beams through atmospheric turbulence,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 24 (2007), 745.
50. D. M. Karabacak, K.L. Ekinci, C.H. Gan, G.J. Gbur, M.S. Ünlü, S. B. Ippolito, B. B. Goldberg, and P.S. Carney, “Diffraction of evanescent waves and nanomechanical displacement detection,” Opt. Lett. 32 (2007), 1881.
68. G. Gbur and T.D. Visser, “The structure of partially coherent fields”, in E. Wolf (Ed.), Prog. in Optics, vol. 55 (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2010), p. 285. (contact me for a copy!)
76. G. Gbur, “Mpemba’s baffling discovery,” in Best Science Writing Online 2012, J. Ouellette and B. Zivkovic, eds. (Scientific American, New York, 2012), 108.
78. G. Gbur, “Invisibility Physics: Past, Present, and Future,” in E. Wolf (Ed.), Prog. in Optics, vol. 58 (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2013), p. 65. (contact me for a copy!)
83. G. Gbur, “Singular Optics,” in The Optics Encyclopedia (Wiley, 2015). (contact me for a copy!)
93. G. Gbur, “Nonuniqueness in imaging,” Encyclopedia of Modern Optics II, Vol. 3 (2018), 156-163. (contact me for a copy!)
101. J. Zeng, X. Liu, C. Zhao, F. Wang, G. Gbur and Y. Cai, “Spiral spectrum of a Laguerre-Gaussian beam propagating in anisotropic non-Kolmogorov turbulent atmosphere along horizontal path,” Opt. Exp. 27 (2019) 25342.