- Ph.D., University of Maryland at College Park, 2003.
- M.A. and B.A., Georgia State University, 1994 and 1991.
- Poetry and Life Writing
- American Literature & Culture
- Gender and Sexuality Studies
Selected Publications and Presentations
- A Curious Peril: H.D.’s Late Modernist Prose. UP of Florida, 2017. (monograph)
- By Avon River (by H.D.). UP of Florida, 2014. (edition)
- Approaches to Teaching H.D.’s Poetry and Prose (with Annette Debo). Modern Language Association Press, 2011. (collection)
- Modernist Writings and Religio-Scientific Discourse: H.D., Loy, and Toomer. Palgrave-Macmillan, 2010. (monograph)
- Emily Dickinson’s Correspondences (with Martha Nell Smith). U of Virginia P, 2008. (edition)
Selected Articles and Book Chapters:
- “The Violence of Translingual Identity in Kazim Ali’s Bright Felon and Julia Alvarez’s The Other Side/El otro lado.” Forthcoming, MELUS (2019).
- “Journeys without Maps: Literature and Spiritual Experience.” Futility and Anarchy?: British Literature in Transition, 1920-1940, eds. Charles Ferrall and Dougal McNeill. Cambridge UP, 2018. 68-84.
- Afterword. A Piercing Darkness: Spirituality in Modernist Women’s Writing, eds. Andrew Radford, Elizabeth Anderson, and Heather Walton. Palgrave P, 2016. 237-246.
- “H.D., India, and Gendered Narratives of Imperialism.” Review of English Studies 67.278 (2016): 146-164.
- “Modernism and Historical Fiction: The Case of H.D.” A History of the Modernist Novel, ed.
Gregory Castle. Cambridge UP, 2015. 369-385.
- “Theories of Spiritual Evolution, Christian Science, and the ‘Cosmopolitan Jew’: Mina Loy and American Identity.” Journal of Modern Literature 31.1 (2007): 47-63.
- “Representing ‘a sort of composite person’: Autobiography, Sexuality, and Collaborative Authorship in H.D.’s Prose and Scrapbook.” Genre 36.1/2 (Spring/Summer 2003): 107-129.
Selected Recent Presentations:
- “H.D., Robert Duncan, and ‘Venice-Venus,’” Robert Duncan Centennial Conference, Sorbonne, Paris, France, June, 2019.
- “Sexuality and the Inhuman in Storm Jameson’s In the Second Year,” Modern Languages Association, New York, NY, January 6, 2018.
- “Late Modernism and the Dystopian Turn,” Modernist Studies Association, Pasadena, CA, November 19, 2016.
- “Outside the Margins of Modernism: Spirituality and Women Writers,” Modernist Studies Association, Boston, MA, November 21, 2015.
- “Espionage and Psychoanalysis in H.D.’s Late Prose,” H.D. and Feminist Poetics, Bethlehem, PA, September 18, 2015.
- “H.D., World War II, and Forms of Mysticism” (keynote), Women Modernists and Spirituality, University of Stirling, Scotland, UK, May 23, 2014.
- “‘L’autre’ in H.D.’s Historical Fiction,” H.D. and Modernity, Paris, France, December 7, 2013.
- “H.D.’s The Sword Went Out to Sea and the Question of Genre.” Modern Language Association, Seattle, WA, January 6, 2012.
- American Literature of War, Violence, and Trauma
- Modernism, Sexuality, and Gender
- American Modernism
- Modern and Contemporary American Poetry
- Twentieth-Century American Life-Writing