Laura H. Gunn, PhD
Associate Professor of Public Health Sciences
Director of Health Analytics
Director of Health Analytics and Outcomes Research Academy (HAnORA)
Dr. Laura H. Gunn received her PhD in Statistics and Decision Sciences from Duke University, during which time she also held a research training fellowship in Biostatistics with the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. Laura is currently Associate Professor of Public Health Sciences and Director of Health Analytics at University of North Carolina at Charlotte (UNCC), as well as Honorary Research Fellow at Imperial College London’s (ICL) School of Public Health (SPH) within the Faculty of Medicine. Prior to UNCC, Laura was Associate Professor of Public Health in Biostatistics, Department Chair of Health Sciences, and founding Program Director of Public Health at Stetson University, where she led the development of the undergraduate minor and major in Public Health, as well as co-developed undergraduate and graduate Data/Applied Analytics programs and received the University’s Community Partnership of the Year Award for establishing partnerships with Florida Hospital and Florida Department of Health. Additional prior positions include Associate Director of the Global eHealth Unit within ICL’s SPH. During this time, she also served as Lead Biostatistician for Research Design Service London at ICL. Laura was Biostatistics Director and Interim Associate Dean of Georgia Southern University’s Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health (JPHCOPH), where she was among the founding faculty to develop masters and doctoral programs primarily in Biostatistics and Epidemiology within JPHCOPH and served on the core leadership team for Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) accreditation. She received the JPHCOPH Faculty Awards of Excellence for Teaching & Mentoring, as well as for Service. Laura served a term on the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Medicare Evidence Development and Coverage Advisory Committee; and, a sample of additional service roles includes: Treasurer for the American Statistical Association Georgia Chapter; Chair and Program Committee Chair of the Biopharmaceutical Applied Statistics Symposium; and reviewer for various statistics and health journals, as well as US and UK nationally-funded grants. Her research accounts for 45 peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, and technical reports, as well as serving as a PI or co-I on funded external grants and contracts totaling over $6.5 million, including National Institutes of Health (US) and National Institute for Health Research (UK) grants. A sample of her publications is provided below, and she has over 150 invited and contributed regional, national, and international presentations.
- PhD Statistics and Decision Sciences (2004), Duke University
- MS Statistics and Decision Sciences (2001), Duke University
- BA Mathematics (1999), Jacksonville University
- Capstone: Problem Solving in Healthcare Analytics (HCIP 6250)
- Healthcare Data Analysis (HCIP 6102)
Laura’s work as a biostatistical expert is applied, interdisciplinary, and collaborative across areas in Public Health, Healthcare, and Medicine. This includes recent and current projects that focus on health outcomes research, analysis of big data in population health at a national level in the UK, randomized trials, program evaluation, and community-based participatory research with local partnerships. Some of the specific health areas include diabetes, asthma, community health needs assessments, dermatology, HIV, among others – but, many of them with a focus on identifying and addressing health disparities.
- Gunn L.H., ter Horst E., Markossian T.W., and Molina G. (2018) Online interest regarding violent attacks, gun control, and gun purchase: A causal analysis. PLoS ONE 13(11): e0207924. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0207924
- Barbaric, J., Abbott, R., Posadzki, P., Car, M., Gunn, L.H., Layton, A.M., Majeed, A., and Car, J. (2018). Light Therapies for Acne: Abridged Cochrane Systematic Review including GRADE Assessments. British Journal of Dermatology. 178(1), 61-75.
- Judah, G., Darzi, A., Vlaev, I., Gunn, L.H., King, D., King, D., Valabhji, J., Bishop, L., Brown, A., Duncan, G., Fogg, A., Harris, G., Tyacke, P., and Bicknell, C. (2017). Incentives in Diabetic Eye Assessment by Screening (IDEAS) Trial: A Three-armed Randomised Controlled Trial of Financial Incentives. Health Services and Delivery Research, 5(15).
- Smith, T.D.H., Watt, H., Gunn, L.H., Car, J., and Boyle, R.J. (2016) Recommending Oral Probiotics to Reduce Winter Antibiotic Prescriptions in People with Asthma: A Pragmatic Randomized Controlled Trial. Annals of Family Medicine, 14(5) 422-430.
- Posadzki, P., Mastellos, N., Ryan, R., Gunn, L.H., Felix, L.M., Pappas, Y., Gagnon, M-P., Julious, S.A., Xiang, L., and Car, J. (2016). Automated Telephone Communication Systems for Preventive Healthcare and Management of Long-term Conditions (Review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Issue 12. Art. No.: CD009921.pub2. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD009921.pub2.
- Barbaric, J., Abbott, R., Posadzki, P., Car, M., Gunn, L.H., Layton, A.M., Majeed, A., and Car, J. (2016). Light Therapies for Acne (Review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Issue 9. Art. No.: CD007917. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD007917.
- Judah, G., Vlaev, I., Gunn, L.H., King, D., King, D.K., Valabhji, J., Darzi, A., and Bicknell, C. (2016). Incentives in Diabetic Eye Assessment by Screening (IDEAS): Study Protocol of a Three-arm Randomized Controlled Trial Using Financial Incentives to Increase Screening Uptake in London. BMC Ophthalmology, 16(28). DOI: 10.1186/s12886-016-0206-4.
- Woodhouse, L.D., Livingood, W.C., Toal, R., Keene, D., Hines, R., Tedders, S., Charles, S., Lawrence, R., Gunn, L.H., Williams, N., and Kellum, A. (2015). Evaluation of Diverse Community Asthma Interventions: Balancing Health Outcomes with Developing Community Capacity for Evidence-Based Program Measurement. Population Health Management, 18(5): 342-50.
- Riboli-Sasco, E., Leslie, J., Felix, L., Head, R., Car, J., and Gunn, L.H. (2015). Effectiveness of Communication Strategies Embedded in Social Marketing Programs on Health Behaviors and Related Health and Welfare Outcomes in Low and Middle Income Countries (Protocol). Campbell Systematic Reviews, 11(3).
- Chatu, S., Saxena, S., Subramanian, V., Curcin, V., Yadegarfar, G., Gunn, L.H., Majeed, A., and Pollok, R.C.G. (2014). The Impact of Timing and Duration of Thiopurine Treatment on First Intestinal Resection in Crohn’s Disease: National UK Population Based Study 1989-2010. American Journal of Gastroenterology; 109: 409-416.
- Mastellos, N., Gunn, L.H., Harris, M., Majeed, A., Car, J., and Pappas, Y. (2014). Assessing Patients’ Experience of Integrated Care: A Survey of Patient Views in the North West London Integrated Care Pilot. International Journal of Integrated Care, 14(2) DOI: 10.5334/ijic.1453.
- Mastellos, N., Gunn, L.H., Felix, L., Car, J., and Majeed, A. (2014). Transtheoretical Model Stages of Change for Dietary and Physical Exercise Modification in Weight Loss Management for Overweight and Obese Adults (Review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Issue 2; Chichester: John Wiley & Sons. (DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD008066).
- Marcano-Belisario, J.S., Car, L., Reeves, T.J., Gunn, L.H., and Car, J. (2013). Search Strategies to Identify Observational Studies in MEDLINE and EMBASE (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Issue 12; Chichester: John Wiley & Sons. (DOI: 10.1002/14651858.MR000041).
- Marcano-Belisario, J.S., Huckvale, C., Greenfield-Vashitz G., Car, J., and Gunn, L.H. (2013). Smartphone and Tablet Self-Management Apps for Asthma (Review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Issue 11; Chichester: John Wiley & Sons. (DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD010013).
- Woodhouse, L.D., Toal, R., Nguyen, T., Keene, D., Gunn, L.H., Kellum, A., Nelson, G., Charles, S., Tedders, S., Williams, N., and Livingood, W.C. (2013). A Merged Model of Quality Improvement and Evaluation: Maximizing Return on Investment. Health Promotion Practice, Feb 13, 2013 (DOI: 10.1177/1524839912474464).
- Harris, M.J., Greaves, F., Gunn, L.H., Majeed, A., Smith, J., and Bardsley, M. (2012). ICP Reduces Hospital Admissions for Diabetes. Rapid Response (Letter to the Editor). British Medical Journal; 344:e3562.
- Harris, M.J., Greaves, F., Gunn, L.H., Greenfield, G., Patterson, S., Car, J., Majeed, A., and Pappas, Y. (2012). Multidisciplinary Group Performance in the Context of Integrated Care: Measurement of Integration Intensity. The Lancet, 380:S13. (DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(13)60369-4).
- Sawicki, G.S., Whitworth, R., Gunn, L.H., Butterfield, R., Lukens-Bull, K., and Wood, D. (2011). Receipt of Health Care Transition Counseling in the National Survey of Adult Transition and Health. Pediatrics, 128(3), 521-529 (doi: 10.1542/peds.2010-3017).
- Romanchik-Cerpovicz, J.E., Costantino, A.J., and Gunn, L.H. (2006). Sensory Evaluation Ratings and Melting Characteristics Show that Okra Gum is an Acceptable Milk-fat Ingredient Substitute in Chocolate Frozen Dairy Dessert. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 106(4), 594-597.
- Gunn, L.H. and Dunson, D.B. (2005). A Transformation Approach for Incorporating Monotone or Unimodal Constraints. Biostatistics, 6(3), 434-449.
- Dunson, D.B., Holloman, C., Calder, C., and Gunn, L.H. (2004). Bayesian Modeling of Multiple Lesion Onset and Growth from Interval-Censored Data. Biometrics, 60, 676-683.