- Ed.D. Texas A&M University , Commerce, 1977
- M.A. Sam Houston State University , 1973
- B.A. Converse College , 1971
Areas of Interest
- Composition Theory and the Teaching of Writing
- English Education
- Critical Pedagogy
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Michelle Comstock, Mary Ann Cain, and Lil Brannon. Composing Public Space: Teaching Writing in the Face of Private Interests. Portsmouth, N.H.: Boynton/Cook Publishers, 2010.
- Lil Brannon, Sally Griffin, Karen Haag, Tony Iannone, Shana Woodward, and Cindy Urbanski. Thinking Out Loud on Paper. Portsmouth , N.H. : Heinemann, 2008.
- Lil Brannon and Brenda Greene, Eds. Rethinking American Literature , Urbana : NCTE, 1997.
- C.H. Knoblauch and Lil Brannon. Critical Teaching and the Idea of Literacy . Portsmouth , N.H. : Boynton/Cook Publishers, l993.
- C.H. Knoblauch and Lil Brannon. Rhetorical Traditions and the Teaching of Writing . Portsmouth , N.H. : Boynton/Cook Publishers, 1984
- Lil Brannon, V. Neverow-Turk and Melinda Knight. Writers Writing. Portsmouth , N.H. : Boynton/Cook Publishers, 1982.
Recent Articles and Book Chapters:
- Tony Scott and Lil Brannon, “Valuation, Assessment and the Political Economy of First-Year Writing” in On Language and Value: Political Economies of Rhetoric and Composition. Eds. Wendy Olson, Siskanna Naynhaha and Victor Villanueva. Logan, UT: Utah State University Press (in press).
- Lil Brannon and Cy Knoblauch, “Robert Boynton and the Making of Composition: English Educator, Editor, Publisher” in Composition’s Roots in English Education,” Ed. Patricia Lambert Stock. Portsmouth: Heinemann/Boynton Cook, 2012. (124-134).
- Lil Brannon, C. Urbanski, L. Manship, L. Arnold, and T. Iannone, “The Ebay-ification of Education: Critical Literacy in a Consumerocracy,” in English Journal, 99 (Jan. 2010), 16-21.
- Lil Brannon, C. Urbanski, J Courtney, S. Woodward, J. Reynolds, K. Haag, K. Mach, M. Kendrick, T. Iannone, and L. Manship. “The Five Paragraph Essay and the Deficit Model of Education, in English Journal, 98, No. 2 (Nov. 2008), 16-21.
- C.H. Knoblauch and Lil Brannon, “The Emperor (Still) Has No Clothes: Revisiting the Myth of Improvement.” Key Works on Teacher Response: An Anthology. Ed. Rick Straub, Portsmouth , NH : Heinemann, Boynton/Cook, 2006. 1-16.
- C.H. Knoblauch and Lil Brannon, “Pedagogy for the Bamboozled” in Writing with Elbow , Eds. P. Belanoff, et al. Logan : Utah Universities Press, 2002, pp. 65-83
- Lil Brannon and Stephen M. North. “The Use of the Margins.” The Writing Center Journal, Fall 2000.
- Lil Brannon. “(Dis)Missing Compulsary First-Year Composition” in Reconceiving Writing, edited by Joseph Petraglia, Mahwah , NJ : Lawrence Earlbaum, 1997.
- Lil Brannon. “The Problem with National Standards,” College Composition and Communication. October 1995.
- Lil Brannon. “M(other): Lives on the Outside” Written Communication , 10, No.3 (July l993), 457-465.
- Lil Brannon. “To Sir, with Love: Gender and the Imperatives of Liberatory Teaching,” in Theoretical and Critical Perspectives on Teacher Change, Norwood , N.J. : Ablex, 1993. 151-54.
- National Writing Project Grant, UNC Charlotte Writing Project, $60,000 2012-13
- National Writing Project Grant, UNC Charlotte Writing Project, $52,000, 2011-12
- National Writing Project Grant, UNC Charlotte Writing Project, $52,000, 2010-11
- State of New York Initiative for Technology, $300,000 (l996-97)
- William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, $150,000, Project Renaissance, 1996-98.
- English 2100
- English 3200 Approaches to Literature
- English 3104 Adolescent Literature
- English 4254 Teaching English and Communication Skills to Middle and Secondary School Learners
- EDCI 8020 Research in English Education
- EDCI 8020 Readings in English Education
- ENGL 6062 Invitational Summer Institute, UNC Charlotte Writing Project
- ENGL 6274 Contexts and Issues in the Teaching of English
- ENGL 6674 Applied Research Methods in the Teaching of English
- UNC Charlotte since 1998
- University of Albany , SUNY, 1986-1998
- New York University , 1980-1986
- UNC Wilmington , 1978-1980
- Texas A & M, Commerce, 1977-78
- Associate Dean, College of Arts and Sciences, 2006-present
- Director, UNC Charlotte Writing Project, 2003-present
- Coordinator, M.A. in English Education, 1998-present
- Director, Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, Univ. at Albany , 1994-1998
- Director, The Writing Center , Univ. at Albany , 1988-1994
- W. Ross Winterowd Award for Critical Teaching and the Idea of Literacy, 1984
- University at Albany , President’s Award for Excellence in Academic Service, 1996
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Texas A&M Commerce, 1992