Lisa Slattery Walker (formerly Rashotte) received her Ph.D. in Sociology from the University of Arizona in 1998. She joined the UNC Charlotte faculty as Assistant Professor of Sociology in 1998, and was promoted to Professor in 2010. In 2017 she was named Associate Dean for Advising and Graduation of the Office of Undergraduate Education.
Her research focuses on small group interaction, nonverbal behaviors, identity, emotions, gender, and expectations. Her work has appeared in Social Psychology Quarterly, Social Science Research, Social Forces, Sex Roles and numerous other journals. She has been PI or Co-PI on five NSF-funded projects at UNC Charlotte. Recently, she has conducted projects on altering the status meaning of gender and, with Murray Webster, on how characteristics come to have status value.
- Webster, Murray, Jr. and Lisa Slattery Walker. 2017. “How Status Spreads.” Advances in Group Processes, 34: 1-19.
- Doerer, Sharon Clemons, Murray Webster, Jr., and Lisa Slattery Walker. 2017. “Racial Double Standards and Applicant Selection.” Social Science Research, 66: 32-41.
- Webster, Murray, Jr. and Lisa Slattery Walker. 2017. “Behavior Patterns, Performance
Expectations, Gender, and Task Focus: A Replication and Extension.” Social Psychology Quarterly, 80: 194-203.
- Walker, Lisa Slattery and Shahar Gur. 2017. “Behavioral versus Questionnaire Measures of Expectations.” Social Currents, 4: 146-155.
- Walker, Lisa Slattery. 2017. “Social Influence.” In The Wiley Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology, 2nd edition. George Ritzer, editor. Oxford: Wiley Blackwell Publishing.
- Boyle, Kaitlin M. and Lisa Slattery Walker. 2016. “The Neutralization and Denial of Sexual Violence among College Partiers.” Deviant Behavior, 37: 1392-1410.
- Paustian-Underdahl, Samantha C. and Lisa Slattery Walker. 2016. “Revisiting the Beauty is Beastly Effect: New directions and tests of the effects of attractiveness, sex, and job
characteristics on selection decisions.” The International Journal of Human Resource
Management, 27: 1034-1058.
- Hysom, Stuart J., Murray Webster, Jr., and Lisa Slattery Walker. 2015. “Expectations, Status Value, and Group Structure.” Sociological Perspectives, 58: 554-569.
- Gur, Shahar, Chelsea Beveridge, and Lisa Slattery Walker. 2015. “The Moderating Effect of Socio-emotional Factors in the Relationship between Status and Influence in Status Characteristics Theory.” Current Research in Social Psychology, 23: 46-55.
- Paustian-Underdahl, Samantha C., Lisa Slattery Walker, and David J. Woehr. 2014. “Gender and Leadership Effectiveness: A Meta-analysis of Contextual Moderators.” Journal of Applied Psychology, 99(6): 1129-1145.
- Walker, Lisa Slattery, Sharon C. Doerer, and Murray Webster, Jr. 2014. “Status, Participation, and Influence in Task Groups.” Sociological Perspectives, 57: 364-381.