- Ph.D. Bowling Green State University, 1983
- M.E.A.S. University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, 1980
- B.A. Franconia College, 1975
Areas of Interest
- Children’s literature; Children’s popular culture; History of childhood
Selected Publications and Presentations
- M. I. West and Kathy Merlock Jackson, eds. Shapers of American Childhood: Essays on Visionaries from L. Frank Baum to Dr. Spock to J. K. Rowling. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2018.
- M. I. West and Kathy Merlock Jackson, eds. Walt Disney, from Reader to Storyteller: Essays on the Literary Inspirations. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2015.
- M. I. West and Kathy Merlock Jackson, eds. Disneyland and Culture: Essays on the Parks and Their Influence. Jefferson, NC, McFarland, 2011.
- M. I. West, ed. The Japanification of Children’s Popular Culture: From Godzilla to Miyazaki. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2009.
- M. I. West. A Children’s Literature Tour of Great Britain. Lanham , MD : Scarecrow Press, 2003.
- M. I. West, ed. Helen Hunt Jackson : Selected Colorado Writings . Palmer Lake, CO: Filter Press, 2002.
- M. I. West and Lucy Rollin. Psychoanalytic Responses to Children’s Literature. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 1999.
- M. I. West. Everyone’s Guide to Children’s Literature . Fort Atkinson, WI: Highsmith Press, 1997.
- M. I. West, ed. Westward to a High Mountain : The Colorado Writings of Helen Hunt Jackson . Denver: Colorado Historical Society, 1994.
- M. I. West, ed. A Wondrous Menagerie: Animal Fantasy Stories from American Children’s Literature . Hamden , CT: Archon Books, 1994.
- M. I. West. Wellsprings of Imagination: The Homes of Children’s Authors . New York: Neal-Schuman, 1992.
- M. I. West. Roald Dahl . New York: Twayne Publishers, 1992. CD-ROM published by Macmillan Library Reference, 1997.
- M. I. West, ed. Before Oz: Juvenile Fantasy Stories from Nineteenth-Century America . Hamden , CT: Archon Books, 1989.
- M. I. West. Trust Your Children: Voices Against Censorship in Children’s Literature. New York : Neal-Schuman, 1988. Expanded second edition published in 1997.
- M. I. West. Children, Culture, and Controversy. Hamden, CT: Archon Books, 1988.
- M. I. West. “Infant Depravity in Children’s Literature in Puritan America.” Clio’s Psyche 24.3 (2018): 339-345.
- M. I. West. “Childhood in the New South as Reflected in Children’s Literature.” The Southern Quarterly 54.3/4 (2017): 126-150.
- M. I. West. “John S. C. Abbott’s Views on Female Education in Antebellum America.” The Journal of American Culture 39.2 (2016): 228-232.
- M. I. West. “Preserving a Presidential Persona: A Bibliophile President Created a Well-Traveled Library.” New York Archives 15.4 (2016): 36-37.
- M. I. West. “The Globalism of Dr. Seuss.” The Dragon Lode 32.2 (2014): 53-55.
- M. I. West. “Playing in the Worlds of Beatrix Potter and Charles Dickens.” The Dragon Lode 31.2 (2013): 54-58.
- M. I. West. “Martin Gardner and His Contributions to the History of Oz.” The Baum Bugle: A Journal of Oz 56.2 (2012): 20-21.
- M. I. West. “The Intersection of Fantasy and Social Commentary in Roald Dahl’s Fantastic Mr. Fox.” Moon City Review (2012): 87-93.
- M. I. West. “Dorothy and the Heroine’s Quest.” The Baum Bugle: A Journal of Oz 54.2 (2010): 7-15.
- M. I. West. “Mark Twain, Walt Disney, and the Playful Response to Pirate Stories.” American Journal of Play 2.4 (2010): 429-435.
- M. I. West. “Theodore Roosevelt and the Golden Age of Children’s Literature.” Journal of American Culture 33.2 (2010): 121-125.
- M. I. West. “Reflections on Rereading The Wind in the Willows.” The Dragon Lode 25.1 (2006): 24-25.
- M. I. West. “Making Hogwartian Dreams Come True: Reflections on Running a Harry Potter Summer Camp.” The Dragon Lode 23.1 (2004): 49-51.
- M. I. West. “Godzilla and His Progeny: Why American Children Like Japanese Monsters.” South Carolina Review 36.2 (2004): 154-158.
- M. I. West. “Helen Hunt Jackson ‘s Nelly’s Silver Mine : A Lost Treasure Reclaimed.” The Lion and the Unicorn 28.1 (2004): 70-76.
- M. I. West. “Images of Mothers in Beatrix Potter’s Picture Books.” The Dragon Lode 21.2 (2003): 1-6.
- M. I. West. “The Home of Beatrix Potter and the Potential of Geographical Criticism.” South Carolina Review 35.2 (2003): 157-163.
- M. I. West. “Martin Gardner: North Carolina ‘s Annotator of Alice and Historian of Oz.” North Carolina Literary Review 10 (2001): 92-96.
- M. I. West. “Fantasy Literature for Children: Past, Present, and Future Tensions.” Journal of Children’s Literature 26.2 (2000): 35-39.
- M. I. West. “The Dakota Fairy Tales of L. Frank Baum.” South Dakota History 30.1 (2000): 134-154.
- English 3103 Children’s Literature
- English 3104 Literature for Adolescents
- English 3102 Literature for Young Children
- English 4102 Classics in British Children’s Literature
- English 4103 Classics in American Children’s Literature
- English 6103 Juvenile Literature
- English 6104 Major Figures in Children’s Literature
- English 6090 Children’s Literature Award Winners
- UNC Charlotte since 1984
- Washburn University of Topeka, 1983-84
- Chair of the Department of English, UNC Charlotte, 2014-2019
- Interim Chair of the Department of English, UNC Charlotte, 2012-2013
- Interim Associate Dean for Student Services, UNC Charlotte, 2010-2011
- Director of M. A. Program in Liberal Studies, UNC Charlotte, 2009-2013
- Interim Chair of the Department of Art and Art History, UNC Charlotte, 2007
- Associate Dean for General Education, UNC Charlotte, 2002-07
- Director of the American Studies Program, UNC Charlotte, 1992-2002
- Graduate Coordinator of English M.A. Program, UNC Charlotte, 1990-92
- Editor, RISE: A Children’s Literacy Journal, 2014-present
- Book Review Editor, Children’s Literature Association Quarterly, 2000-present
- Editor, The Five Owls, 1999-2006
- President, Children’s Literature Association, 2000-2001
Governor James E. Holshouser, Jr. Award for Excellence in Public Service, 2019.
Bonnie E. Cone Professorship in Civic Engagement Award, UNC Charlotte, 2019.
Anne Devereaux Jordan Award for Outstanding Achievement in Children’s Literature, Children’s Literature Association, 2016.
Finalist for Bank of America Award for Teaching Excellence, UNC Charlotte, 2013.