- Atkinson, Mary Layton. 2017. Combative Politics: The Media and Public Perceptions of Lawmaking. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Atkinson, Mary Layton. Forthcoming. “Gender and Policy Agendas in the Post-War House.” Policy Studies Journal. Available in early view: doi:
- Atkinson, Mary Layton and Jason Harold Windett. 2019 “Gender Stereotypes and the Policy Priorities of Women in Congress” Political Behavior. 41(3): 769–789.
- Link to summary featured on the LegBranch.com blog
- Atkinson, Mary Layton. 2018. “Real News, Fake News: For Lawmakers, No News is Good News.” Extensions. Winter, 2018.
- Mary Layton Atkinson, John Lovett and Frank R. Baumgartner. 2014. “Measuring The Media Agenda.” Political Communication, 31(2): 355-380.
- Link to a summary of the article from Harvard’s Shorenstein Center.
Policy Mood Project:
- Three Models of Opinion Dynamics (under contract with Cambridge University Press). (With Jim Stimson, Frank Baumgartner and Elizabeth Coggins)
- Beyond the Thermostat: A Theory of Public Opinion Change. (With Jim Stimson, Frank Baumgartner and Elizabeth Coggins)
- Policy Specific Mood (With Jim Stimson, Frank Baumgartner and Elizabeth Coggins)
Other Works in Progress:
- Women at War: Debating defense in the U.S. Congress (with Reza Mousavi and Jason Windett)
- Process Stories: How news coverage of political conflict shapes policy support at the macro level
- Mixed Signals: How the public responds when party leaders take counter-stereotypical policy positions (With Kevin K. Banda)