- Atkinson, Mary Layton. 2017. Combative Politics: The Media and Public Perceptions of Lawmaking. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Atkinson, Mary Layton. 2020. “Gender and Policy Agendas in the Post-War House.” Policy Studies Journal. 48(1): 133-156.
- Atkinson, Mary Layton and Jason Harold Windett. 2019 “Gender Stereotypes and the Policy Priorities of Women in Congress” Political Behavior. 41(3): 769–789.
- Link to summary featured on the LegBranch.com blog
- Atkinson, Mary Layton. 2018. “Real News, Fake News: For Lawmakers, No News is Good News.” Extensions. Winter, 2018.
- Mary Layton Atkinson, John Lovett and Frank R. Baumgartner. 2014. “Measuring The Media Agenda.” Political Communication, 31(2): 355-380.
- Link to a summary of the article from Harvard’s Shorenstein Center.
Policy Mood Project:
- Three Models of Opinion Dynamics (under contract with Cambridge University Press). (With Jim Stimson, Frank Baumgartner and Elizabeth Coggins)
- Beyond the Thermostat: A Theory of Public Opinion Change. (With Jim Stimson, Frank Baumgartner and Elizabeth Coggins)
- Policy Specific Mood (With Jim Stimson, Frank Baumgartner and Elizabeth Coggins)
Other Works in Progress:
- Detecting diverse perspectives: using text analytics to reveal sex differences in congressional debate about defense (with Reza Mousavi and Jason Windett) (R&R).
- Race, Gender, and Media Coverage of the 2020 Democratic Primary Election.
- The Impact of Gender on Responses to Covid-19: Evidence from the U.S. States. (With Jason Windett, Samira Shaikh, Ben Radford, Zhuo Cheng, Stephanie Moller, and Nathaniel Birkhead).