- Ph.D. University of Missouri – Columbia, 1990
- M.A. University of Missouri – Columbia, 1984
Areas of Interest
Linguistics (syntax, history, cognition and linguistics, language acquisition and learning, evolution of language, English grammar); the language of children’s literature; Medieval Literature.
Currently completing a book ms. on Language, Mind, and Power: Why We Need Linguistic Equality (with Dan Boisvert, Dept. of Philosophy, submitted to Routledge). The book examines language in terms of nutrition, i.e. as a socially managed resource used to cultivate or to harm.
Thiede, Ralf. 1983. A Black English/Standard English interim grammar in college composition: A case study. Transactions of the Missouri Academy of Science 17:171-80. online
Thiede, Ralf. 1992. Lexical Transformations and the Mapping of English Ditransitives. The National Kaohsiung Normal University Journal of English Literature and Language 1 (December): 104-18.
Thiede, Ralf. 1993. Review of Neurolinguistics: Historical and theoretical perspectives, by Charles Pierre Bouton. Language 69:409-10. JSTOR
Thiede, Ralf. 1994. Friedens- und Konfliktforschung: Aktuelle Fachtermini in Deutsch und Englisch. Lebende Sprachen 1994.4:156-57. online
Davis, Boyd, and Ralf Thiede. 2000. Writing into Change: Style Shifting in Asynchronous Electronic Discourse. Ch. 5 of Network-Based Language Teaching: Concepts and Practice, ed. Mark Warschauer and Richard Kern. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Google Books preview
Thiede, Ralf. 2006. Lexical Classification and Pragmatic Licensing of Mandarin B.A..Southern Journal of Linguistics 27.1/2 (2003): 1-38.
Thiede, Ralf. 2008. MERGE and Information Management. Human Sciences 55 (2007): 57-70. online
Thiede, Ralf. 2009. Stylistics and Syntax: Exploitation of Mixed Systems in English.Southern Journal of Linguistics 33.2:72-91. NC Docks Open Access
Thiede, Ralf. 2012. Linguistics and children’s literature. Southern Journal of Linguistics36.2: 1-9.
Thiede, Ralf, 2012. Special issue: ‘Linguistics and Child Literature,’ Southern Journal of Linguistics. With articles by Theofil Husar, Brittany A. Stone, Elizabeth Tingley, and Julie Wright.
Davis, Boyd, Ralf Thiede, and Mary K. Smith. 2013. Cross-cultural socialization into a common profession: Exploring how nursing students in Taiwan and in the U.S. narrate professional Identity. Crossroads (University of Bialystok) 1:6-23. online
Thiede, Ralf. 2015. Review of Entranced by Story: Brain, Tale and Teller, from Infancy to Old Age by Hugh Crago. Children’s Literature Association Quarterly 40.1:85-88. online
Thiede, Ralf. 2018. Review of Tales of Literacy for the 21st Century by Maryanne Wolf. Children’s Literature Association Quarterly 43.4:487-91. online
Thiede, Ralf. 2019. Children’s Books, Brain Development, and Language Acquisition. New York: Routledge, 250 pp. link
Thiede, Ralf. forthcoming. Synesthetic entrainment in interactive reading sessions of children’s books. Children’s Literature Association Quarterly 44.4 (Winter 2019).
Thiede, Ralf, and Daniel Boisvert. forthcoming 2020. Language, Mind, and Power: Why we Need Linguistic Equality. Routledge.
- ENGL 2161 Grammar for Writing
- ENGL 3050 Topics: Computers and Language, Psycholinguistics
- ENGL 3132 Introduction to Contemporary American English
- ENGL 3211 Medieval Literature
- ENGL 4050 Topics: Medieval British Literature
- ENGL 4161 Modern English Grammar
- ENGL 4166 Comparative Language Studies for Teachers (no longer offered)
- ENGL 4167 The Mind and Language
- ENGL 4211 Medieval Literature / Chaucer
- ENGL 4260 History of Global Englishes
- ENGL 4263 Linguistics and Language Learning
- ENGL 4759 Honors Seminar
- various independent studies
- ENGL 6070 Topics: ‘Grammar and Etymology’, ‘Grammar for Teachers,’ ‘Linguistics and Language Learning’, ‘Linguistics and Children’s Literature’
- ENGL 6160 Introduction to the English Language
- ENGL 6161 Introduction to Linguistics
- ENGL 6163 Language Acquisition
- EDCI 8020 Topics in English Education
- various directed readings
Charlotte Teacher Institute
- UNC Charlotte since 1990
- National Kaohsiung Normal University, Taiwan (1992-93)
- Occasional appointments at the University of Ludwigsburg, Germany
- Editor of the Southern Journal of Linguistics 1999-2006; guest editor Spring 2012
- Director of Undergraduate Advising, Dept. of English (2005-2012)
- Dept. Parliamentarian (2010 – present)
- Coordinator, Applied Linguistics Program / Linguistics Minor (2013 – present)
- Director, Applied Linguistics Graduate Certificate (2013 – present)
- President, SouthEastern Conference on Linguistics [SECOL] (2017-2020)
- President, Temple Or Olam, Concord (2008-2009)