Sonyia Richardson, PhD, MSW, LCSW is an Assistant Professor in the School of Social Work at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. She possesses a Doctor of Philosophy degree in Curriculum and Instruction, Urban Education specialization at UNC Charlotte, a Master degree in Social Work (University of North Carolina Chapel Hill), a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology (University of North Carolina Charlotte).
Recently, Dr. Richardson was appointed by Governor Roy Cooper to serve on the Andrea Harris Social, Economic, Environmental, and Health Equity Task Force. She previously served a three-year term with the National Institutes of Mental Health, Adult Mental Health Interventions Subcommittee as a Public Reviewer. In addition to teaching, Dr. Richardson is the Owner of Another Level Counseling and Consultation located in Charlotte, North Carolina. Another Level Counseling and Consultation has provided a continuum of behavioral healthcare services in Mecklenburg County for over 13 years.
Dr. Richardson currently serves as a Delegate for the National Association of Social Workers North Carolina Chapter and was appointed by the National President to the Private Practice Specialty Subcommittee to provide expertise and guidance to private practitioners nationally. She is a graduate of Leadership Charlotte Class #33 and volunteers with state and county-based initiatives.
- 2020 Ph.D., University of North Carolina Charlotte, Curriculum & Instruction, Urban Education
Dissertation Title: Factors Influencing Suicide Attempts among Racially Diverse High School Students in a Southeastern Urban School District
- 2020 Certificate, Quantitative Analysis, University of North Carolina Charlotte
- 2001 M.S.W., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Social Work,
- 1995 B.A., University of North Carolina Charlotte, Psychology
Research Interests/Areas of Expertise
- The intersection of urban education and social work
- Mental health and suicide prevention among diverse populations
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker, North Carolina
- Certification – Licensed Clinical Social Worker Supervisor
- Quality Matters Higher Education Publisher Reviewer Certification
- Quality Matters Peer Reviewer Certification
- Lucille P. and Edward C. Giles Dissertation Fellowship
- Honorable Mention, Ford Foundation Dissertation Fellowship
- Recipient, UNC Charlotte, Research Funding Award Recipient
- Recipient, College of Health & Human Services, UNC Charlotte, Diversity Award
- Recipient, Graduate Teaching Award, Graduate Social Work Association
- Recipient, Cardinal Innovation Healthcare Solutions, Cultural Diversity